September 03, 2020
TAMPA, Florida – HCA Healthcare West Florida is proud to have brought home the prestigious Patient Safety Collaboration award from the Florida Society for Healthcare Risk Management and Patient Safety Conference (FSHRMPS) held virtually the week of August 17.
“It is rewarding to have our hospital teams recognized for the outstanding work we do every day in providing quality care to our patients,” said Ravi Chari, M.D., President of HCA Healthcare West Florida. “As an industry leader in clinical excellence and innovation, we rely on a powerful combination of compassionate caregivers, the latest technology, and clinical support to produce exceptional patient outcomes. Our caregivers, who are highly trained hospital staff and skilled physicians, make a difference everyday in the lives of so many.”
Quality and Patient Safety teams at hospitals across the division work together to provide caregivers with the latest information and best practices to help ensure high quality services to patients. “I want to thank FSHRMPS for their advocacy and leadership in promoting Florida’s patient safety agenda,” said Patrice Vance, VP Clinical Operations, Quality & Emergency Preparedness for HCA Healthcare West Florida. “Our hospital teams are thrilled to be recognized for their collaborative efforts to keep our patients safe.”
HCA Healthcare West Florida hospitals treated more than 1.2 million patients last year and achieved numerous recognitions for these efforts, including earning all ‘A’ or ‘B’ hospital safety grades in the most recently released Leapfrog spring 2020 results. All West Florida division hospitals are accredited by The Joint Commission and include Blake Medical Center, Brandon Regional Hospital, Citrus Memorial Hospital, Doctors Hospital of Sarasota, Englewood Community Hospital, Fawcett Memorial Hospital, Largo Medical Center, Medical Center of Trinity, Memorial Hospital of Tampa, Northside Hospital, Oak Hill Hospital, Palms of Pasadena Hospital, Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point, South Bay Hospital, and St. Petersburg General Hospital.
Among the 2019-2020 Patient Safety Achievements by HCA West Florida hospitals contributing to the Patient Safety Collaboration Award are:
- Eight West Florida Division hospitals earned the Leapfrog Patient Safety Grade ‘A’ for Spring 2019.
- 100% of our hospital Quality Leaders are certified, demonstrating their expertise in leading performance improvement.
- 100% of our hospitals have Chief Medical Officers who work with physicians to improve patient outcomes.
- 100% of our hospitals are designated Stroke Centers and three are Comprehensive Stroke Centers.
- Our rigid focus on Sepsis through the development of a real time Artificial Intelligence tool, the Sepsis Predication and Optimization Therapy (SPOT), has saved an estimated 8,000 lives in the past five years through the quick identification of patients with sepsis combined with evidence-based clinical interventions. Additionally, most of our hospitals have earned Joint Commission Sepsis Certification.
- Our best practices in blood management have greatly reduced the units of blood transfused in our hospitals.
- Expeditious surgery through the Geriatric Fracture Initiative is reducing complications, decreasing long-term mortality and shortening hospital stays in this vulnerable population.
- Tele-neurology is providing our ER physicians with instant consults for Stroke Patients allowing for the immediate use of clot-busting drugs when appropriate to reverse the effects of strokes.
- We are expanding telemedicine in the ER with Tele-psychiatry to ensure patents receive needed behavioral health assessments.
- Our Antibiotic Stewardship program is stopping the overuse of antibiotics by getting the right drug to the right patient at the right time.