June is not only the month for celebrating dad, but also men's health: did you know dad is less likely to go to the doctor regularly? Men are also less likely to be actively involved in discussions about their health. You can help dad and other men in your life this month by learning important facts about heart disease and how to help lower their risk.
What do people mean when they say heart disease?
- Coronary heart disease is usually what people are talking about when they say heart disease. It is also referred to as coronary artery disease. This is the most common type of heart disease.
- It occurs when the coronary arteries that take blood to the heart narrow or are blocked.
- The blockage happens when cholesterol and fatty material called plaque build up in the heart.
- Plaque could be caused by fat and cholesterol in the blood, high blood pressure, smoking or too much sugar in the blood due to diabetes.
Who is at risk?
- Men over the age of 45
- Men whose father or brother had heart disease before age 55
What are some of the steps to take to lower the risk of heart disease?
- Make sure to have preventive tests run to check cholesterol and blood pressure regularly.
- Pay attention to family health history to understand the risk indicators present.
- Smoking adds to the risk for heart disease, therefore stop smoking and attempt to avoid secondhand smoke.
- Eat a healthy diet and attempt to fill your plate with many different colors at each meal.
- Get active by taking the stairs and going for walks with the family.
- Manage the stress in your life.